Wednesday, January 14, 2009

1/8/09: Saint Augustine, FL


Music: Jimmy Eat World: 23

I’d say today was a pretty good day. I woke up pretty late again today...around 11:00. I had originally planned on going to bed early light until Mark and I ended up getting in a fight over the phone. I’m not really sure how it all happened. Somehow it went from me talking about how a stereotypical guy is an asshole to him bringing up that one night stand I had in West Virginia when I was a freshman. Anyway, he started calling me a hypocrite about it my views on it, which pissed me off to no end. Obviously that night I was just having fun, making some bad decisions, and just livin’ in the moment…not trying to use someone and brag about it and such. Finally I got that through to him. At the same time, it turns out he wasn’t really mad about that per say, but more just how he gets pissed off at anything that reminds him of sophomore year somehow. So yea, it pretty much went from a really nice conversation to a shitty conversation. I mean, we worked it out and everything, but still…he needs to get over that stuff. It is creating way too much drama, and if there’s one thing that I can’t stand it’s when people dig up the past and make it the present.
So I woke up, did my stretches, and then listened to the Tony Robbins Get the Edge download. I did Session 6, which was all on Financial Freedom. I really liked a lot of the points he made in this. I mean, they were very simple and I was aware of most of them, but it is great to go over them to ensure that I fully understand. He talked about the importance of compounding your earnings. He also talked about having 3 buckets: A securities bucket, which are where your safer, fixed-income investments go, and a growth bucket, which is where your riskier investments go. Once you earn profit from these 2 buckets, you reinvest it as well as put a percentage of it into the 3rd bucket, which is your dream bucket. This bucket goes towards things like a dream house, car, vacation, etc. I realize so much that I need to start focusing on this now. The examples alone of what compounding can do are amazing. If I start now, just saving a certain amount each month, I will be so set in the future, as well as be able to provide a good life for my husband and my kids in the future. I realize so much how badly I hate stressing over the cost of a meal at a restaurant, the prices of a simple movie ticket, or anything that I might want. I’m so scared about this stuff that I even stress out when it comes to buying things that would be considered as investing in myself! And that is the most important investment I can make. I am setting a goal that by the end of this semester I will make $10,000. I know, I know. That seems like a lot. But I have to do it. And I have to set my goal high. I need to challenge myself. If I make it too small, like say $3,000...that’s not enough to get me off my ass and working for something. I am going to achieve this through getting back into investing in the market, creating the eBay business (which I have invested in myself with by buying the books), and possibly still working for Blue Ocean. (I’m still not sure if I want to do that next semester).
After I listened to the Tony Robbins thing my Dad & I went out to lunch at a nice Tiki Bar type Restaurant on the Pier. It was pretty good. We got some fried calamari and Cuban Sandwiches. So, we had a nice time there just chatting. When we got back to the house my back was killing me! Maybe it is because it is my 1st period since I got the IUD put in, but damn it hurt. I chilled for a bit in hopes it would feel better, but to no resolve. Then my Dad and I went for a walk on the beach, which was a good time. I found some great sea shells to make some new necklaces with when I get back to NJ or VT. After that Dad and I just chilled on the couch and talked for a bit. It is really nice to catch up with him and everything. I know it is important to keep a good relationships going with your parents, so, I am doing my best to do that. Even with Mom, who I can’t stand half the time, I’ve been working hard to bite my tongue and get along with her.
Finally we went back to the gym today. I had a pretty good work out…did a lot of abs & strength training. I’m actually doing a pretty good job at getting back into the routine of working out. And you know what? It feels great. Just feeling healthier, having a better diet and keeping track of it, and feeling like I’m improving my body everyday is giving me so much more energy, as well as confidence.
So, yea, all and all it has been a pretty good day. Learned a few things about finance, spent some time with my Dad, stretched, worked-out, read some of my Financial Planning book, and I am still yet to do my evening stretch, do some of my Dreamweaver book, and talk to Mark on the phone later.
Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment